When it comes to writing a series review, I usually don’t write one unless it’s already finished. So I am making this as an exception.
Crash Landing On You “사랑의 불시착” is a romantic comedy series starring Son Ye Jin 손예진 as a Heiress, Yoon Seri 윤세리 and Hyun Bin 휸빈 as North Korean Officer, Ri Jeong Hyeok 리정역. Written by Park Ji-Eun and Directed by Lee Jeong Hyo.
The korean drama series is about Yoon Seri who had a paragliding accident and landed on North Korea. She met Captain Ri and he helped hide her. Eventually, they fall in love with each other. The series is very different from korean dramas we’ve seen most of the time.
What do I love about the show?
1) A love story between star-crossed lovers. This is a very old writing technique but still works.
In the series, Yoon Seri is from South Korea, while Capt. Ri Jeong Hyeok is from North Korea. It’s a set up that truly makes people curious and it is a perfect set up for a drama series.
2) The location: Some of the scenes were taken from Switzerland which plays a big part on the lives of the characters and the story.
3) One of my deciding factor in liking a series or a movie and the most important for me is the chemistry. I saw the interview and the trailer and noticed how good the chemistry of the main actors are. I am very picky when it comes to chemistry of the main leads.
The main actors worked together before. They made the movie, The Negotiation 협상.
I don’t like to watch typical chemistry of couples you see all the time on tv or actors who had dated each other in the past.
Because so many casting directors are thinking that since they dated each other, they already have the familiarity and chemistry. Those kind of chemistry bores me because it doesn’t surprise me anymore.
I already know what to expect from them as oppose to actors who’s got an effective chemistry despite starting as a perfect strangers. That is special, rare, and beautiful.
There are so many typical couples like that on tv and movies. Be it Asian, Western or Filipino.
What they didn’t know is that there are people who’s got a really good chemistry and a rare connection. It’s not something you can establish just like that by dating each other or spending time together. Some people just have it and some just don’t.
So those people who gets to find that one of a kind chemistry and rare connection are so lucky. My advice is to keep your eyes and mind open. Make sure to take care and keep that person in your life. And you will reach your potential, become the best version of yourself, and feel complete. Anyway, I’m not sure if the main actors are like that. I am just making a point so bear with me. I don’t mean you need to date that person. Some of them are strangers and some of them are close family members or relatives.
Now, after seeing 8 episodes, I love the chemistry of all the casts, not just the main leads, but the second leads as well, and also the other characters. All of them blend so perfectly for the story. Whoever casted them, they’ve really done a great job. I enjoy watching all of them, and their antics.
4) The series truly has an interesting plotline and it looks very promising. I’ve never watched other korean dramas with the same plotline. I think other fans have seen other dramas with similar plot though based on their comments.
It is very funny, and I didn’t expect it too. 정말 재미있어요! ㅋㅋㅋ I’ve never laughed so hard for a korean drama before. Alright, I guess it rivals Hwayugi because it’s very funny too. Then again, like I said, it’s a very different from other dramas.
Just like any korean drama, it starts out light then it slowly builds up, then it becomes heavy. We are now after all in the middle of the series. It’s suppose to have 16 episodes. 어머! That’s too short. Even Hwayugi has 20 episodes and fans are still eagerly waiting for a season 2.
5) This is a show that started with good ratings and for every episode, it keeps getting better. Fans are obsessed with it.
Fans believe that the drama, Crash Landing On You save 2019 after other korean dramas Hotel Del Luna “호텔 델 루나” , Vagabond “배가본드”, When the Camellia Blooms “동백꿏 필 무렵” and more. Because a lot of people, doesn’t like the way those have ended.
I am truly estatic I ended the year by watching this. And I am looking forward to a happy ending. So I can stay, I am starting this year right.
5) Soundtrack – As of now, there are only 4 soundtracks released and they are all very good and catchy songs. They reflect the story, the characters, and the moments very well. The scenes really gets to me when the music starts to play.
6) Safety, Security, and Promotion. I mentioned this cause they had to stop shooting for a while because of the bad weather.
I also noticed how they take good care of their actors especially when rumors of the main leads are dating or have broken up. It didn’t take them months to shut down the rumors. So I can see that the actors are very secure with their agencies or their corresponding agencies or companies they work for.
I love how they’ve got trailers, interviews, photoshoots, and behind the scenes photos and videos of the series, and the actors. It’s so unlike what happened from the 화유기 days.
This is a series, where they almost got everything right. But then again, we are only just in the middle of the episodes. So I’ll be in the look out for the success and failures on the next 8 episodes.
What I don’t like about the show?
1) This is hard. So for now, the only thing I don’t like about the series is it has only 16 episodes. But you know what they say. Perfection are always brief.
Tune in again on my next review of 사랑의 불시착, once it is finished.
In the mean time, come support me again on my review of Korean Drama series, Love With Flaws “하자있는 인간들” starring Oh Yeon Seo and Ahn Jae Hyun. This drama is a perfect drama to write about, to show how people get it wrong when it comes to life, and relationships.
I wasn’t planning on writing one, but I had an epiphany the other day that I can analyze and explain the human condition effectively through this series since they’ve shown so much about how traumas affect us and our prejudices as a person. It is going to be a very effective learning journey for all of us.